Now that the days are becoming shorter and winter is around the corner, taking care of small problems around the house before they become big, costly repairs will be well worth the effort. So with pencil and pad in hand, tour the exterior of your house and jot down the things you see that should be done before our sunny Northern Virginia days turn cooler. You’ll be amazed how a bit of TLC recaptures the original beauty and solid construction of your Home Sweet Home.
Follow Better Homes and Gardens checklist this Saturday and you’ll be good to go:
• Get your mind in the gutters. Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts.
• Button up your overcoat. Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulk.
• Get on top of roof problems. Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
• Walks the walks (and drives). Take steps to repair damaged sidewalks, driveways, and steps.
• Chill out. Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
• Freshen your filter. Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
• Give your furnace a physical. Have a professional inspect your heating system.
• Gather round the hearth. Check fireplaces for soot or creosote build-up. Better yet, schedule a visit from a reputable chimney sweep.
• Keep the humidifier humming. Clean the plates or pads to ensure efficient operation.
• Head-off gas problems. If you have a gas-fired room heater, have it inspected by a pro. Also, perform any routine maintenance recommended by the maker.
• Keep the wood fires burning brightly. Wood stoves are making a comeback. To avoid a deadly situation, be sure to inspect yours before firing it up.
• Keep your family safe at home. A home safety check should be an annual ritual in every household. Test smoke and CO monitors, inspect (or install) fire extinguishers, review fire escape plans, and rid your home of old newspapers and other fire hazards.
For more information about Ploutis Painting & Contracting or to receive a complimentary estimate, please call us at (703) 360-0205 today.
___ ___ ___
Ploutis Painting & Contracting is family owned and operated. For over 50 years, we have worked meticulously to develop reliable and professional methods to ensure guaranteed customer satisfaction. We have set the standard for the industry by providing the highest quality interior and exterior painting to commercial buildings, condominiums and residential properties within the Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC area. We are praised for our consistent dedication and excellence in our work and strive to provide nothing short of perfection.